BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — DOTD is sharing a reminder to all drivers in the state about safe practices in school zones.
The first day of Louisiana School Bus Safety Week begins Monday, Aug. 1. All states in the United States have a law making it illegal to pass a school bus with its red lights flashing and stop-arm extended, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
DOTD shared the following school zone safety tips:
- Obey all speed limit signs in and around school zones
- Watch for school buses and stop for them when their red lights are flashing
- Be on the lookout for children walking or riding bicycles
- Don’t stop on crosswalks
- Obey crossing guards on crosswalks
- Don’t be distracted by your cell phone or other devices
- Follow the school’s traffic pattern for dropping off and picking up children