Learn which flowers to use and which to avoid to make your garden safe for pets

Learn which flowers to use and which to avoid to make your garden safe for pets
Buffett Image

LILIES: While nontoxic for dogs, lilies are very toxic for cats and can cause serious kidney damage.

DAFFODILS: They contain poisonous alkaloids that can cause vomiting, excessive salivation, diarrhea, convulsions, tremors and heart problems in pets. The bulbs are the most dangerous part of the plant.

AZALEAS: Ingesting even just a few leaves can cause serious issues such as upset stomach, drooling, loss of appetite, weakness and leg paralysis, and in some cases, coma or death. 

HYDRANGEAS: These are poisonous to cats, dogs and horses. All parts of the plant are poisonous because they contain cyanogenic glycoside. Signs of ingestion include diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, confusion and depression.

GERANIUMS: The leaves, stem, roots, and especially the flowers of the scented geranium contain linalool and geraniol, which are toxic to cats and dogs. Ingesting any part of the plant can cause vomiting, reduced appetite, depression. Touching the plant can cause skin irritation and dermatitis.

TULIPS: Toxic to dogs, cats and horses, the bulb of a tulip contains toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac irregularities.

DAISIES: These are toxic to both dogs and cats and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, lack of coordination and dermatitis. 

ALOE VERA: Although it has medicinal benefits for humans, aloe vera is toxic to pets. If ingested, it can cause vomiting, lethargy and diarrhea. 

This is just a small sampling of the list of plants that are dangerous for pets. For an expanded list and photos of toxic plants, visit www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants. You can also find more pet-safe options there, too.

There are many beautiful options for flowers and plants that are safe for the entire family, just do some homework before making your selections. If an animal is suspected of coming into contact with a poisonous plant, seek medical attention immediately.

Source

About Mary Weyand 14964 Articles
Mary founded Scoop Tour with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research. With ample knowledge about the Automobile industry, she also contributes her knowledge for the Automobile section of the website.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*